House Speaker Nancy Pelosi led a surprise delegation to Ukraine as a show of US support.
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi led a delegation of top House Democrats on a surprise delegation to Kyiv to show support for Ukraine in its fight against Russia.
- Pelosi and senior House Democrats met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and walked the streets of Kyiv. Pelosi called Zelensky “dazzling” and described the meeting as “a remarkable master class of leadership.”
- The House Speaker, second in line to the presidency after Vice President Kamala Harris, is the most senior American official to visit Ukraine since Russia’s invasion began in February.
- Pelosi vowed America “stands firmly with Ukraine” and would support Ukraine until “victory is won.”
- The delegation was composed of senior House Democrats including Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Gregory Meeks (D-NY), Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA), and Rules Committee Chair Jim McGovern (D-MA).
- The Washington Post covered the delegation’s press conference in Poland after they left Ukraine. Pelosi said, “you cannot fold to a bully” while Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO) said the trip’s emphasis was clear: “weapons, weapons, weapons.”
- The New York Times reported on the deaths of volunteer foreign fighters in Ukraine. Just this week, a Briton, a Dane and an American, Wiley Joseph Cancel Jr., 22, were killed in action.
- CNN published a series of photos from the delegation’s visit with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.
- Fox News covered Pelosi’s comments in her meeting with Zelensky. The Speaker said, “We are on a frontier of freedom and your fight is a fight for everyone. Our commitment is to be there for you until the fight is done.”
- The New York Post noted Pelosi’s visit comes one week after Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin visited the war-torn capital and President Biden requested an additional $33 billion in new funding to support Ukraine.
- National Review wrote on “how to press our advantage in the wake of Russia’s failures.”
On Your Radar
New York Times – Inside China’s zero-Covid Fortress, Xi admits no doubts.
The Washington Examiner – The top moments at this year’s White House Correspondents Dinner.
CBS News – Country music star Naomi Judd dies at age 76.
Washington Post – Hacking Russia was off-limits. The Ukraine war made it a free-for-all.
National Review – How the Right misunderstands its history.
Slate – ‘Grace and Frankie’s’ reign of terror is finally over.
Fox News – Top Honduran official says mass migration to US ‘possible’ when title 42, stresses economic help.
Politico – Trump’s criminal justice reform bill becomes persona non grata among GOPers.
CNN – The 10 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2022.
© Dominic Moore, 2022