Four people have been shot at protests in the wake of the Kenosha shooting. What really happened?
- The shooter was Kyle Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old pro-police activist from Illinois. Mr. Rittenhouse has been charged with homicide, but his attorney says that he was acting in self-defense.
- On 29 August, a right-wing activist was shot and killed at a Trump rally in Portland. A gunman has not been identified.
- Donald Trump has advocated for the deployment of the national guard in Portland, which has been rocked by protests since July.
- Portrays the shootings as a gun control
- Portrays Kyle Rittenhouse as a conservative nutjob, and uses strong language to paint him as an aggressor.
- Sees the Kenosha incident as representative of the republican party, portraying the GOP and its supporters as problematic and misinformed.
- Argues in the wake of both shootings that the violence is here to stay.
- Give Kyle Rittenhouse the benefit of the doubt, portraying him as a good kid.
- Portrays the protests as violent, stoking the flames of ongoing unrest and condemning left-wing media for downplaying it.
- Condemn Portland mayor Ted Wheeler for not accepting Trump’s offer to deploy the national guard.
- Focuses reporting on the Portland victim rather than the Kenosha victims.
© Evelyn Torsher, 2020