Jon Gruden resigned Monday night after the Wall Street Journal and New York Times reported on previously unreleased emails showing Gruden using homophobic and racist slurs. Gruden even called President Biden a “nervous clueless p*ssy.”
Las Vegas Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden has resigned following the revelations of an apparent history of using homophobic remarks towards NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and others.
- Earlier this week, it was revealed Gruden “used racist language” in emails a decade ago in criticizing African-American DeMaurice Smith, who runs the NFL Players Association.
- Gruden’s emails were uncovered during an investigation into the Washington Football Team’s alleged workplace misconduct, with Gruden, then an analyst with ESPN, emailing former WFT general manager Bruce Allen.
- The former coach also criticized the drafting of openly gay players and player protests of the national anthem.
- AP’s Arnie Stapleton compared Gruden’s disgusting remarks to Jaguars coach Urban Meyer’s recent bout of bad publicity after being filmed getting close to a young woman at a bar.
- The New York Times characterized Gruden’s emails as evidence of a “clubby culture” in which “white male decision makers felt comfortable” using homophobic language and “deriding league policies.”
- ESPN’s coverage included information Gruden shared with his then-employer, ESPN, in which he attempted to explain his comments about DeMaurice Smith.
- CNN capped their coverage of Gruden’s resignation with the former coach’s own words that he apologized to those involved and to compare his words to “what I’ve done my entire life.”
- The New York Post’s Steve Serby unironically pummeled Gruden, who besmirched the reputation of “an NFL grown more progressive in its long-overdue quest for social justice.”
- RedState’s report of Gruden’s resignation argued the former coach’s insistence that the original reporting of his racist remarks were not indicative of his true feelings “fall flat with a trove of comments” over the years that “can be perceived as racist, homophobic, sexist.”
- Outkick’s Clay Travis criticized Gruden’s resignation while “every rapper the NFL has performing at the Super Bowl has more offensive lyrics than Jon Gruden had in his emails.”
© Dallas Gerber, 2021