Three reports confirm what has already been reported: the omicron variant is milder than previous strains. That isn’t stopping alarmists.
New studies show omicron is milder and less likely to require hospitalization.
- While data from South Africa, where the strain was first detected and their variant wave has already subsided, shows an 80% decrease in the likelihood of hospitalization, reports from Scotland and England show at least a 40% decrease in risk.
- Some suggest there is still reason for caution as “many documented cases have been among people who are vaccinated” and those with natural immunity after previous infection.
- Despite the apparent good news, Dr. Anthony Fauci is warning Americans not to get together for Christmas, saying even after receiving a booster shot, “large gatherings” are not safe.
- While Dr. Doom tells people not to gather for Christmas, the Biden administration’s efforts to ramp up testing are being described as “too little, too late.”
- In an interview with ABC News, President Biden himself admitted they were behind the ball, saying he “wish he had thought of ordering [COVID-19 tests] two months ago.”
- Before yesterday’s publication of studies showing milder symptoms and less risk of hospitalization, The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson parsed available data to get an idea of risk for specific groups of Americans, such as young and vaccinated versus older or immunocompromised yet still vaccinated.
- NBC News reported on the differences in symptoms and how omicron’s mild nature “can resemble the common cold.”
- New York Times noted the Biden administration’s announcement to purchase 500 million COVID-19 tests for Americans will be delayed, comparing the situation to Biden’s remarks in 2020 that “excoriated the lack of testing during the Trump administration.”
- The New York Post editorial board provided some ideas for Biden on how to turn the page on the pandemic, including cutting the quarantine period for those infected, speed up FDA approval for “proven treatments”, and increasing testing capacity far more than the 500 million tests ordered.
- OANN blasted CDC Director Rochelle Walensky for her obfuscation and refusal to answer questions about the administration’s knowledge of omicron. In the same interview, she urged people to “continue wearing masks while indoors regardless of their vaccination status.”
- Breitbart focused on remarks from CNN medial analyst (and former head of Planned Parenthood) Dr. Leana Wen who advocated for the Biden administration to begin restrict activities and movements of unvaccinated Americans.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021