Chris Cuomo has been suspended for his role in Gov. Cuomo’s defense. Few, save Tucker Carlson, defended the CNN anchor.
After revelations their star anchor Chris Cuomo was more involved with his then-governor brother’s defense against sexual harassment allegations, CNN suspended Cuomo indefinitely.
- The cable network said the documents released by the New York Attorney General “point to a greater level of involvement in [Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s defense] than we previously knew.”
- Chris Cuomo testified that he was going to protect his family first and that its effects on his career “just never occurred to” him.
- Since the new revelations, Cuomo has not addressed the situation or his suspension.
- CNN was under fire for its unwillingness to punish Cuomo earlier this year when his involvement was initially uncovered.
- NBC News’ coverage trended toward sympathetic for Cuomo, extensively quoting him that he was trying to do his best for his brother and to get his team to understand “the complaints [against him] should be taken seriously.”
- Washington Post’s media critic Erik Wemple blasted CNN for mishandling the situation from the very beginning, arguing Cuomo should have been investigated in August when Chris’ involvement was revealed.
- Huffington Post quoted Chris Cuomo’s assertion to NY AG prosecutors that he did not try to influence stories on his brother while he was digging around for dirt on his brother’s accusers.
- The Washington Times’ framed their story around Cuomo’s apparent lies to his employer that he was not heavily involved in his brother’s defense while he worked closely with the Governor’s advisors to track down leads.
- Newsmax highlighted former President Trump’s rejoicing of Cuomo’s suspension, wondering whether Cuomo’s low ratings had anything to do with the suspension.
- Fox News’ Tucker Carlson hurled insult after insult towards Chris Cuomo, calling him a self-righteous buffoon but almost/not-really praised Cuomo for having understanding he had an “obligation” to help his family.
As said yesterday, I did not think CNN would suspend him. It may be a few months too late, but they did the right thing. Tucker’s defense has some old-school credibility, but ignores the reality that while Chris Cuomo may have done right by his family, it has to come with other consequences.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021