Chris Cuomo is in hot water for helping former NY Gov Andrew Cuomo dig up dirt on his accusers. CNN said it will conduct a review while Cuomo was allowed to go on the air last night.
CNN anchor Chris Cuomo was more involved in his brother’s, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, public defense than previously disclosed.
- The media personality used his contacts and connections as a journalist to dig up dirt on the then-governor’s accusers.
- After begging his brother’s advisors to allow his assistance, a proposed statement Chris Cuomo sent to Gov. Cuomo’s advisors was at least partially used shortly after.
- During an investigation conducted by the New York Attorney General, Chris Cuomo said he considered his actions as part of protecting his family and dismissed criticism of his role as “media noise.”
- The state AG’s report comes just a week after the state legislature released a report on its investigation confirming the former governor engaged in sexual harassment.
- The New York Times’ report highlighted Cuomo’s role and his defense that he simply counseled his brother to “tell the truth” amid details of a hostile work place.
- The Hollywood Reporter went into far greater detail than most outlets about the lengths to which Chris Cuomo used his media and reporter network to gather information for his brother’s team, including probing via third parties what stories were being written before publication.
- The Atlantic’s David Graham wrote that Chris Cuomo’s “serious errors of judgement” warrant his resignation or termination from CNN, saying the network bears some responsibility as well for treating their anchor with kid gloves.
- The Daily Wire and Fox News reported on CNN’s statement that it is conducting a more thorough review of their employee’s actions following the revelations of his closer than reported involvement.
- The New York Post highlighted Chris Cuomo’s silence on the air Monday evening, noting he did not mention the scandal during the airing of his CNN primetime show.
- RedState blasted CNN for doing nothing when news of their star’s involvement first broke in August, pointing out Cuomo’s flat-out lies in August when he said “I never made calls to the press about my brother’s situation.”
It’s impossible to see how, in a sane world, Chris Cuomo keeps his job. He lied to his employer, lied to his audience, used his relationships with other journalists to conduct opposition research on his brother’s accusers. It will be a serious breach of public trust and indication of just how far the partisan rabbit hole they’ve fallen if CNN does not terminate Chris Cuomo’s employment. Don’t hold your breath, though, as Cuomo was allowed to go on-air last night, even if he did not address the situation.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021