Progressive socialist and self-styled champion of the working-class Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez attended the Met Gala in a white “Tax the Rich” gown. The irony was not lost on Twitter.
THE high-fashion event of the New York social scene, the Met Gala, turned overtly political this year after Democratic Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wore a white gown with the phrase “Tax The Rich” emblazoned across the back.
- The gown was created by Brother Vellies, whose founder Aurora James accompanied AOC and said “Alexandria and I are a great embodiment of the language fashion needs to consider adding to the general lexicon”.
- AOC told Reuters she felt it was important to bring the conversation about taxing the rich to the ultra-wealthy and famous attendees of the gala.
- The Met Gala typically costs at least $35,000 to attend, and the spectacle of AOC’s dress comes at a time when Democrats in Congress are walking a tight rope on hiking taxes to pay for a $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill.
- Democratic Rep. Carolyn Maloney also attended, wearing a dress that highlighted “equal rights for women.”
- The social media reaction to AOC’s dress was mixed.
- The Daily Beast quoted the dress’ designer in Vogue who said “Fashion is changing. America is changing.”
- People quoted a defiant AOC who brushed off potential criticism of her attending the Met Gala by saying “If I wake up in the morning, there’s going to be someone who has something to say about that.”
- Huffington Post said AOC was making a “bold political statement” while criticizing pop star Nicki Minaj in separate reporting for skipping the Met Gala due to its vaccine requirement.
- Newsmax zeroed in on social media criticism of AOC, calling her out for her hypocrisy of hobnobbing with the elite during “the top party of the year that is essentially a celebration of richness.”
- Fox News noted AOC’s attendance comes as she publicly feuds with West Virginia Sen. Joe Machin after he announced he will not support a $3.5 trillion additional spending bill.
- RedState focused on the hate Nicki Minaj got on Twitter after saying she was waiting to get the COVID-19 vaccine and will not be attending the Met Gala.
AOC’s lack of self-awareness and addiction to the spotlight is typically a major pothole for a politician of her stature and with her political brand. The question is whether her own supporters will have a red line on what many consider her hypocrisy. Clearly the mainstream media will continue to prop her up.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021