Former President Donald Trump headlined a raucous rally in Wyoming to urge Republicans to ‘fire’ Rep. Liz Cheney.
Former President Donald Trump headlined a raucous rally in Casper, Wyoming as part of his campaign to punish Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) for voting to impeach him for his role in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot.
- The former president urged voters to back Harriet Hageman, a former Cheney supporter and Trump’s pick to replace her in the House. Hageman previously ran for governor in 2018 and lost in the G.O.P primary.
- Cheney filed for reelection on Tuesday, setting up a titanic primary matchup between the well-funded incumbent and her former supporter-turned-foe Hageman.
- While a recent poll found Cheney down by 30 points, her team is reportedly encouraged by Trump’s recent string of losses in May’s G.O.P. primary elections.
- Although Cheney is the incumbent and the daughter of former vice president Dick Cheney, today’s G.O.P. establishment has largely aligned against her.
- House Republican leadership appeared virtually at the former president’s rally, and the state party chairman has openly violated the state party’s official neutral stance to support Hageman.
- Politico looked into the divisions splitting the Wyoming Republican Party. The Wyoming G.O.P. has been taken over by pro-Trump activists who have alienated Republicans in the states’ two largest counties and stripped their fellow Republicans of their voting rights within the party.
- Rolling Stone blasted Trump for his comments about the Capitol riot. Trump criticized those who refer to it as an “insurrection,” saying “what a lot of crap” and calling it “the insurrection hoax.”
- The New York Times assessed Trump’s record in the 2022 primaries so far, writing that a series of primary losses for his endorsees have punctured his aura of “invincibility” within the party.
- Fox News’ main takeaway was Trump’s comments calling Cheney a “warmonger” who loves ‘endless, nonsensical, bloody wars.’
- The Daily Wire noted a new poll found Cheney losing by a bruising 56%-26% margin to her challenger. The poll was conducted by the Club for Growth, which supports Cheney challenger Harriet Hageman.
- The Independent noticed a video message from House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was met with boos by Trump’s supporters.
© Dominic Moore, 2022