CNN+ is shutting down on April 30 after barely one month of existence.
CNN+, the much-ballyhooed streaming service from America’s third-most-watched cable TV news channel, is shutting down on April 30 barely one month after its March 29 launch.
- CNN spent $300 million to develop its streaming service and attracted big names like Fox News’ Christ Wallace, but even after extensive advertising it was only able to attract about 10,000 viewers a day.
- The decision came after CNN’s parent company, WarnerMedia, merged with Discovery to form Warner Bros. Discovery.
- Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav plans to combine all company brands – including existing streaming services Discovery Plus and HBO Max – into one streaming service.
- As USA Today put it: “customers don’t need it, don’t want it and aren’t going to pay for it.”
- The demise of CNN+ comes amid a rough stretch for the company. CNN President Jeff Zucker resigned in February after revelations of an inappropriate workplace relationship and primetime host Chris Cuomo was forced out after allegations of sexual misconduct.
- The New York Times linked the CNN+ shutdown to Netflix’s stock collapse earlier this week, saying both instances call into question streaming services’ profitability going forward.
- The Daily Beast quoted CNN’s new CEO Chris Licht describing the CNN+ shutdown as a “uniquely s****y situation” but “the right one for the long-term success of CNN.”
- Blocked and Reported’s Katie Herzog and Nellie Bowles assessed the CNN+ collapse and the @LibsofTikTok controversy on the Honestly with Bari Weiss podcast.
- The New York Post picked up former President Donald Trump’s statement on the demise of CNN+. Trump said, “Congratulations to CNN+ on their decision to immediately FOLD for a lack of ratings, or viewers in any way, shape or form. It was like an empty desert out there.”
- Megyn Kelly and the gentlemen from the Fifth Column Podcast (Kmele Foster, Vice’s Michael Moynihan, and Reason’s Matt Welch) analyzed the failure of CNN+ and President Biden’s handshake with no one, among other top stories on The Megyn Kelly Show podcast.
- The Washington Free Beacon’s Eliana Johnson and The Dispatch’s Chris Stirewallt dissected the CNN+ collapse and the Washington Post-@LibsofTikTok story on their podcast Ink Stained Wretches.
On Your Radar
New York Times – ‘I’ve had it with this guy:’ G.O.P. leaders privately blasted Trump after Jan. 6
Politico – Biden White House stands behind Title 42 decision amid party revolt
Associated Press – French presidential candidates enter final day of campaign
Commentary Podcast – Biden’s confusion & McCarthy’s mendacity
Reuters – Russian general says Moscow aims to capture southern Ukraine
National Review – Ron DeSantis and the ‘Fight Club Conservatives’
Fox News – Disney stock tumbles amid Florida bill controversy
BBC News – Jerusalem holy site clashes fuel fears of return to war
The Washington Post – Depp-Heard trial: Cross-examination spotlights Depp’s profane texts, drug use
© Dominic Moore, 2022