Democratic Mayors are fighting back after a dramatic increase in violent crime and coordinated robberies. Those on the right wonder if they have actually learned their lesson.
Local officials are finally responding to a crime wave that has taken over major cities, with San Francisco’s mayor making headlines for announcing the city will not put up with the “bullshit that has destroyed our city.”
- San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced steps to increase police visibility and allow them to access security and surveillance footage after a wave of coordinated smash-and-grab thefts that ransacked retail stores across the city.
- The announcement comes a month after activists were able to gather enough signatures to place the local prosecutor on the ballot for a recall election next June.
- In other cities, such as Beverly Hills, the police chief made a similar pronouncement in response to the same type of crime sprees.
- A new report by a former prosecutor in Denver showed a dramatic increase in violent crime in the state over the last decade.
- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is also catching flak for “abdicating responsibility” for the increase in robberies as communities fight back against a rash of armed robberies.
- New York Magazine covered Mayor Breed’s press conference, calling it unusual for such blunt words from a mayor to describe the present situation of their city.
- Los Angeles Times columnist Erika D. Smith expressed growing discomfort with “supposedly progressive politicians” wanting to stop crime in their jurisdictions.
- The founder of Kind Snacks took to Newsweek to compare the crime wave in liberal cities to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, blaming them and the rationalizations of both on political tribalism.
- The Spectator offered Democrats the warning that they’re ignoring or minimizing the crime wave at their own electoral peril, mocking them for their “three reliable options when it comes to passing the buck”, blaming either Trump, climate change, or the coronavirus pandemic.
- The New York Post editorial board was skeptical of Democrat politicians’ newfound concern about crime, saying they must admit, even tacitly that their criminal reform policies are the reason for the national crime wave.
- Newsmax interviewed GOP Rep. Jeff Van Drew who came to the same conclusion as the New York Post, saying big cities are hitting homicide records “because Democrats are soft on crime.”
The crime wave has gotten so bad that Speaker Nancy Pelosi was forced to comment on it. It is likely that national Democrats finally saw the polling that crime was part of their sinking approval ratings.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021