The number of people crossing the border illegally remains at a 20-year high. The media continues to cover for the Biden administration.
Arrests at the U.S.-Mexico border remain at 20-year highs despite Border Patrol and the media trying to spin the month-over-month numbers as dropping.
- Thousands of Haitians have streamed across the border, being kept in a camp under a bridge in Texas. They are leaving the destitute island nation recently devastated by an earthquake and political assassination.
- Texas Republican Rep. Tony Gonzales toured the bridge encampment, which is supposed to be a “staging area” for border officials to disperse migrants apprehended crossing the border.
- The problem has gotten so bad at the Del Rio bridge, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott sent state troopers and the Texas National Guard to assist Border Patrol.
- Despite the record number of border crossings, a federal judge ordered the Biden administration to stop using a Trump-era policy of denying entry of illegal immigrants due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CNN reported on Gov. Abbott’s order to shut down a half-dozen points of entry on the border. The report says unironically “the crisis at the southern border has been a key focus of the Biden administration” but has been dealt several blows in court.*
- NPR reported on Texas’ actions in lieu of any real assistance from the Biden administration, actions the outlet calls “controversial.”**
- Washington Post detailed the difficult journey Haitians have made to get to the United States. The Post also noted the Department of Homeland Security gave “temporary protected status” to Haitians in the U.S. illegally following the assassination of the Haitian president and the recent earthquake.
- Breitbart revealed that normal operations at highway checkpoints in the Del Rio Sector will be paused while personnel are diverted to deal with the Haitian migrant crisis.
- Fox News’ Sean Hannity questioned the motive of the FAA for grounding drone flights around the Del Rio bridge, which is how Fox News and other outlets learned about the massive encampment.
- The Daily Wire reported on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s visit to the Del Rio bridge, saying the situation was “indefensible” and “entirely caused by Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.”
*How can CNN credibly say the border crisis has been a priority for the Biden administration? It’s getting worse every month and are paralyzed by inaction, afraid of their left flank’s reaction to continuing even the smallest Trump-era policies.
**The phrasing NPR uses is how subtle media bias works. There’s no evidence, quote, or polling data that shows the Abbott administration’s policies are controversial at all. The writer of the piece says so with their own bias and it makes it into the article as accepted fact.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021