In his first major event after leaving office, former President Trump took the stage to blast President Biden and give his support to a primary challenger to GOP Rep. Anthony Gonzalez. The mainstream media’s coverage of the rally was all over the map.
For the first time since leaving office, former President Donald Trump held a rally Saturday night in Ohio urging people to support the primary challenger running Republican Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, one of ten GOP members of Congress to vote to impeach Trump after the events of Jan. 6th.
- On top of what was called a “largely familiar speech” hitting several beats of his pre-election rallies, Trump railed on new topics, blasting the Biden administration on everything from the border crisis to “woke generals” concerned about critical race theory.
- Mike Lindell of My Pillow fame and Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene also spoke at the rally, who the latter of the two egged on the crowd by asking who was “their president.”
- Trump left the door wide open for his return to elected office, saying he’s considering running in the 2024: “We won the election twice and it’s possible we’ll have to win it a third time.”
- CNN characterized Trump’s rally the opening salvo in “his revenge tour” to “oust the Republicans who crossed him” by voting for his impeachment after Jan. 6th.
- Newsweek highlighted fundraising developments of several GOP members who voted for his impeachment in the wake of Trump’s rallies, reporting a joint fundraising committee Reps Liz Cheney and Anthony Gonzalez.
- While Huffington Post ran an AP wire report, the headline blasted Trump for “venting same old election gripes.”
- Newsmax’s coverage highlighted Trump’s withering criticism of the Biden administration: “I told you. Crime is surging. Murders are soaring. Police departments are being gutted. Illegal aliens are overrunning their borders. Nobody’s ever seen anything like it.”
- The growing feud between squad member Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Republican Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene was the highlight for Fox News’ coverage after Greene said of AOC “She’s not an American. She doesn’t really embrace our American ways.”
- The Daily Caller followed Newsmax’s lead in playing up Trump’s disparaging grades on Biden’s first few months in office, including Biden’s rolling back of Trump-era orders preventing the use of critical race theory in training resources for federal employees.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021