California gubernatorial candidate Caitlyn Jenner, who is transgender, came out against trans athletes in school sports. It instantly became fodder for the left and right to dunk on each other.
TMZ caught up with California gubernatorial candidate Caitlyn Jenner, who transitioned from male to female several years ago, and got Jenner’s take on transgender participation in high school and collegiate sports.
- Jenner told the gossip outlet that she is against the participation of “biological boys who are trans competing in girls’ sports in school”, saying it is a matter of fairness.
- Jenner’s candidacy has been under the spotlight even before it began, with Politico reporting on Jenner’s spotty voting record before the announcement, then saying the campaign was “silent” since the announcement, quoting several “experts” concerned Jenner’s candidacy is less like former Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose campaign rollout was more extensive and policy-oriented.
- Jenner’s comments on transgender sports participation have not been widely reported in the least biased news outlets but retired NFL star and former murder suspect OJ Simpson took to Twitter recently to discuss transgender athletes, citing an incident in which he was upset Caitlyn Jenner played a golf tournament from the ladies’ tees.
- Before Jenner was cornered by TMZ, Vox’s most recent write-up of Jenner’s candidacy focused on the LGBTQ community’s resistance to it, citing personal anecdotes of the author and Jenner’s refusal to become a liberal after transitioning as chronicled in the reality television show I Am Cait, arguing Jenner not being a “one-issue voter” means she’s tacitly endorsing “anti-trans attacks” from the Republican Party. Author’s note – Anyone politically to the right of Bill Maher would think this Vox piece was a Woke Mad Libs written for outrage rather than laughs.
- Newsweek covered the positive reaction from former Trump officials purportedly connected to Jenner’s campaign as well as condemnations from folks like professional woke activist Charlotte Clymer while casting skepticism on the necessity of efforts in multiple state legislatures to prevent biological males from participating in girls’ sports.
- A reporter for Forbes who “reports on the fight for transgender equality and other LGBTQ issues” called out Jenner for siding “with her Republican base” and criticizing her for “getting what she apparently craves: attention.”
- Fox News’ framing of the story is a mirror opposite of Newsweek’s, providing more sympathetic reporting to states passing legislation barring transgender athletic participation and viewing activists’ motives skepitically.
- RedState used the news as an opportunity to call out liberals and Democrats outraged that Jenner won’t toe the line on identity politics, also noting polling that suggests a majority of Americans agree with Jenner’s position.
- The Daily Caller’s reporting focused solely on the news of Jenner’s policy position, not on the aftermath and flame throwing of the culture warriors’ reactions.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021