One police officer was killed and another injured when Noah Green rammed his car into a barrier at the Capitol. The Left’s response was predictable, while the Right’s response mocked the Left.
A police officer lost his life after a man rammed his car into a barricade and struck two officers on Capitol Hill Friday afternoon.
- Capitol Police identified the dead officer as William Evans, who spent 18 years on with the U.S. Capitol Police department.
- The suspect, Noah Green, was fatally shot by police after running over the two officers, crashing into the barricade, and exiting his vehicle in an attempt to stab police officers.
- The attack occurred after some of the security fencing erected after the Jan 6th attack on the Capitol was removed roughly a week ago.
- No motive has been discovered, but media reports note Green’s social media containing recent posts about “the end times” and effusive praise for rabid anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan, the leader of Nation of Islam.
- The New York Times highlighted Republican members of Congress urging Capitol Police to remove some of the fencing and barbed wire put up after Jan 6th (Green’s car was blocked by a pop-up barricade that was in place years before the Jan 6th attack).
- Huffington Post did their best Buzzfeed impression in their headline while creating a supercut video of various GOP politicians arguing for the removal of the temporary fencing (again, a PRE-Jan 6th security measure stopped the assailant’s car).
- CNN offered a more nuanced and less biased take on the status and future of additional security measures at Capitol Hill, saying the incident Friday is likely to impact long-term security plans, noting that National Guard troops are still stationed at the Capitol even though many thousands have returned home.
- Conservative blog RedState chided Rep Ilhan Omar (D-MN) for using the attack as an “opportunity for exploit [Officer Evans’] death” to push for gun control when Omar tweeted that “the death toll would have been worse if the assailant had an AR-15 instead of a knife.”
- Newsmax and Fox News gave considerable coverage to Green’s apparent ties to the Nation of Islam, citing his social media.
- The Daily Caller reported on former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, who was fired for lying to investigators, telling CNN that yesterday’s incident was the “one of the results” of the election-related Jan. 6th attack on the Capitol and became a “primary target” for anyone with mental health issues and is angry at the government.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021