As a surge of children are crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally, it is frustrating the Biden administration. They are accused of hypocrisy after media outrage over “kids in cages” during the Trump administration.
As immigrant children “surge” across the border illegally, the Biden administration is releasing them into the United States as fast as they can.
- The surge is so great, a facility for unaccompanied minors used by the Trump administration during the last border crisis was re-opened.
- Despite literally using the same facilities, the Biden administration is defending its practices, with Press Secretary Jen Psaki saying it is “absolutely not the same” as the Trump administration’s actions.
- Citing the coronavirus pandemic, the Trump administration took a strict approach to border enforcement and denied entry to all people, while the Biden administration is allowing unaccompanied children to enter, citing “humanity and safety.”
- The development is facing criticism from Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who said it was unacceptable “no matter the administration or party.”
- After criticism and claims of hypocrisy arose, National Public Radio and The Washington Post went to bat for the Biden administration, both defending the decision to re-open the same facility the Trump administration used and claiming it’s nothing like what the Trump Administration did.
- Vox similarly strained to find a distinction between the actions of the Biden and Trump administrations, saying it’s not like the “cages” used by the Trump administration, completely ignoring the fact that the photos generating outrage at the time were taken during the Obama administration.
- The Daily Beast fired a warning shot at the Biden administration, highlighting criticism from illegal immigrant advocates who question whether President Biden supports “reuniting families” if he is “reopening a detention center to hold immigrant children”.
- Fox News highlighted Senator Rand Paul’s calling out Biden and Psaki’s hypocrisy, saying the facilities were built by Obama, “used in the Trump administration”, and “being reopened under the Biden administration.”
- The Federalist noted the answers given by Psaki contradicting the facts and that Biden and congressional Democrats are set to push an amnesty bill that will provide a path to citizenship for 11 million individuals in the United States illegally.
- RedState questions why the media is not pushing back on the Biden administration which it claims is admitting it is breaking the law by keeping children in facilities longer than allowed.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021