After a state report showing New York Governor Andrew Cuomo intentionally obscured accurate coronavirus deaths among residents of nursing homes, he went on record saying “who cares” where someone died. Cuomo achieved the one thing no one thought was possible: condemnation from liberal and conservative media.
Despite being lauded by Dr. Anthony Fauci as a prime example for fighting coronavirus, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is under fire after a report revealed drastic undercounts in nursing home resident deaths related to COVID-19.
- The New York Attorney General released a report saying the numbers could be 50% lower than reality because the states recorded the place of death, meaning thousands of nursing home residents were not counted because they were admitted to and died in a hospital.
- The state health commissioner’s response to the report was recalcitrant and combative, saying the official numbers were always transparent in including deaths that only occurred at long-term care facilities.
- Cuomo’s response to the report blamed former President Donald Trump and the federal government, who he says turned covid death rates into a “political football” (The NY State Attorney General is a Democrat and not a federal official).
- The immediate reaction from CNN (who employs Gov Cuomo’s brother) was to shrug it off and suggest Cuomo’s stellar television performances were “a refreshing palate cleanser” despite the “troubling reality” of undercounted nursing home deaths.
- Later, CNN’s Brianna Keilar practiced actual journalism, calling out Cuomo for “trying to swat away criticism.”
- Vox, who loves to run “explainers” on complicated topics, has yet to write on the egregious cover-up as of Sunday morning.
- The Washington Post’s Aaron Blake blasted Cuomo for his defense, especially saying “who cares?” referring to where people who were residents of long-term care facilities died, “Died in a hospital, died in a nursing home. They died.”
- The New York Post opinion contributor Bob McManus wrote that Cuomo’s petty vindictiveness will likely manifest itselfin an attempt to take revenge on state Attorney General Letitia James for the report.
- Fox News meteorologist Janice Dean went on the attack, calling mainstream media disgusting for “protecting” Cuomo.
- The Daily Caller reported on Cuomo attempting to conflate the 2015 death of his father with coronavirus deaths.
- OAN’s report focused on Cuomo’s efforts to deflect blame back to the federal government and federal guidelines.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021