A new report alleges Gavin Newsom is “undeniably, unequivocally” running for president in 2024 should President Joe Biden forego a second term.
A new report from Yahoo! News and TheWrap alleges Gavin Newsom is “undeniably, unequivocally” running for president in 2024 should President Joe Biden forego a second term.
- Two leading California fundraisers confirmed the California Democrat’s plans.
- One prominent fundraiser told TheWrap, “After this midterm election is over, he absolutely is going to announce that he is running for the presidency once Biden announces that he is not running.”
- The California governor has been padding his governing resume ahead of 2024. He signed into law a massive climate package designed to reduce air pollution and drastically decrease state oil consumption and fossil fuel use as part of his “California Climate Commitment.”
- Gov. Newsom also signed into law legislation that aims to “crack down on hate speech” with “transparency” and requiring companies to publicly post policies on hate speech and disinformation. The new law is expected to face legal challenges on First Amendment grounds.
- Newsom isn’t just making policy waves. He accused Gov. Ron DeSantis of “kidnapping” migrants after DeSantis flew willing migrants to Martha’s Vineyard last week and challenged the Florida Republican to a televised debate on immigration policy.
- Gavin Newsom is making moves. Biden should watch his back.
- The New York Times reported on five bills still sitting on Newsom’s desk that must be signed or vetoed by Sept. 30. The bills include legislation to limit solitary confinement and provide state-issued IDs for illegal immigrants.
- The Washington Post wrote Newsom is “working hard to get lucky.” His attention-seeking moves are designed to heighten his national profile and set him up to set out his stall should Biden call it quits.
- The Intercept reported on the Democratic National Committee’s moves to give itself more power to override delegates at the 2024 Democratic National Convention. The Democratic establishment is giving itself more control – but is it control to protect the incumbent or ensure an establishment-oriented candidate (e.g. the governor of the nation’s largest state) can take Biden’s place?
- FOX News accused Newsom of hypocrisy for condemning migrant transports as “morally reprehensible” yet he pioneered a busing policy as San Francisco mayor to bus thousands of homeless people out of the Bay Area.
- The Wall Street Journal called Newsom’s debate challenge a “political stunt” but a smart move to gain attention as he is expected to coast to reelection in November. His likely easy reelection leaves him “plenty of time for distractions as he plots his run for President in 2024 if President Biden decides not to run.”
- The Washington Examiner pointed out Biden’s reelection plans remain an “open question.” The President was evasive in his televised Sunday night interview on 60 Minutes, saying he intended to run again but “it’s just an intention. But is it a firm decision that I run again? That remains to be seen.”
© Dominic Moore, 2022