Billionaire Elon Musk purchased Twitter for a cool $44 billion.
- Musk’s bid – with an initial share price of $54.20, an apparent marijuana reference – may have seemed like a joke to Twitter at first but became very real, very fast.
- Twitter tried to fight his bid with a “poison pill” maneuver but after he secured financing Twitter’s board picked the “path of least resistance” and accepted his takeover.
- Bankers called the bid “fair” after Musk secured financing from Morgan Stanley, ponied up $21 billion in cash and used one third of his stake in Tesla as collateral.
- Twitter’s most famous former user, Donald Trump, quickly said he would not try to rejoin the platform. We’ll see how long that lasts…
- The New York Times noted the “blockbuster” Twitter deal is a “prize” for Elon Musk although the “scrutiny” will be intense.
- The Washington Post focused on Twitter’s progressive employees, who now “face a reality they’ve long feared:” working for Elon Musk.
- Slate expressed skepticism of Musk’s purchase, characterizing it as “impulse-[buying] a $44 billion pain in the ass.”
- Fox News reported Jeff Bezos launched a “China conspiracy theory” after Musk’s purchase of Twitter. Bezos tweeted his suspicions that China had leverage over Twitter now that Musk owns the social media site.
- The Daily Wire covered the progressive freakout over Musk’s purchase, including one activist saying the African-born businessman’s takeover was “all about white power.”
- National Review said “Godspeed to Elon Musk” in his “attempt to make that ‘digital town square’ more open, less arbitrary, and better suited to the potential of the web.”
On Your Radar
The Washington Examiner – Growing number of top Biden officials eyeing the exits ahead of midterm elections.
BBC News – North Korea’s Kim Jong-un vows to step up nuclear weapons program.
National Review – Special Counsel John Durham would use a big scheme to prove a modest crime.
The New York Times – Behind Austin’s call for a ‘weakened’ Russia, hints of a shift.
Commentary – Nobody’s Priority: The Biden administration’s failure to address Americans’ concerns.
The Washington Post – Supreme Court majority sympathetic to coach who prayed at midfield.
The Wall Street Journal – Russia’s Foreign Minister Lavrov says NATO using Ukraine as a proxy, warns against World War III.
Axios – House Republicans plot to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.
Fox News – Biden’s White House senior adviser called ‘Squad’ members ‘f—ing idiots’: book.
Politico – New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu: The one Republican Trump can’t touch.
New York Post – Biden issues first pardons and prison commutations of presidency.
Bloomberg – The contractual impossibility of unwinding Disney’s Reedy Creek.
© Dominic Moore, 2022