Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas defended his agency’s work while blaming failings on a “broken system.” Not all media outlets are buying his story.
Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said while the U.S. can handle influxes of illegal immigrants, “we are working in a completely broken system.”
- Mayorkas’ comments come as the border crossing in Del Rio, Texas is reopened following thousands of Haitians cleared from the nearby camp.
- According to Mayorkas, as many as 12,000 of the nearly 20,000 Haitian migrants were released into the United States.
- Mexico is offering Haitian migrants residency, encouraging them to call Mexico home while also offering voluntary flights back to Haiti.
- More Haitian migrants are moving north through Central America on their way to the United States.
- An essay in The Atlantic put the Biden administration and Democrats on notice for the “double standard” on immigration policy, arguing they are not materially acting much or any different than Republicans.
- CBS News highlighted the Biden administration’s apparent efforts to conduct a “deportation blitz”, removing almost 4,000 Haitians from the country.
- Slate interviewed a University of Texas professor who obliquely argued that the treatment of Haitians entering the United States illegally is an extension of the “slave catchers” Texas Rangers and the massacre of “Indigenous and Mexican people in Texas in the early 20th century.
- The New York Post reported on Mayorkas’ estimation that as many as 20% of the Haitian migrants detained have a serious illness “days after admitting” those held under the bridge in Del Rio were not tested for COVID-19.
- Fox News interviewed former acting ICE director Tom Homan who criticized Mayorkas for his comments about 12,000 Haitians released into the United States. Homan argued those migrants are “only going to be in immigration proceedings if they chose to voluntarily show up” to their immigration court hearing.
- Breitbart reported on an MSNBC interview with California Democrat Rep. Maxine Waters who said the only reason Haitians are being “treated differently” is “because they’re black…and traditionally they have not been treated as human beings.”
- RedState focused on the media’s sensationalism regarding the fake news of Border Patrol agents whipping those attempting to enter the United States illegally.
Once again, we see mainstream media run with narratives that could easily be dispelled with just a few minutes of fact-checking or investigative work. RedState calls the mainstream media out on their quiet corrections that never make the same front page their incorrect original reporting does.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021