After a federal judge declared the DACA unlawful, liberal outlets spun up the outrage machine. The right largely focused on bad news from the border.
A federal judge in Texas declared the Obama-era DACA program unlawful on Friday, preventing the program for accepting new applicants. DACA allowed temporary reprieve for those brought to the United States illegally as a child.
- The Biden administration is expected to appeal the ruling, which was not unexpected by advocates for illegal immigration.
- The Mexican government weighed in on the ruling, expressing their “disappointment” and that the Mexican consulates in the United States will provide assistance to Mexican DACA beneficiaries.
- Illegal immigrant advocates argue the ruling puts more pressure on President Biden and Congressional Democrats to find a legislative fix, which Senate Democrats are attempting to slip in to their $3.5 trillion supplemental spending.
- The ruling comes as U.S. Border Patrol announced it made more than 1 million arrests for illegal border crossings since October 2020.
- CNN’s coverage characterized DACA as “part of the American fabric” intended to “provide temporary reprieve” to those brought to the United States as children illegally.
- NPR framed the ruling in stark terms, saying it was “striking a blow” to those “protected” from deportation, noting the Biden administration is pledging to “put something similar [to DACA] in place.
- Huffington Post advocated for DACA recipients in its reporting, saying it “has been life-changing for recipients” who “were able to get better jobs, start their own business, buy cars and houses, and more” because of the program.
- Daily Caller’s reporting cited the judge’s ruling that the Obama-era program, created without the consent of Congress, violated the Administrative Procedures Act but that the same judge previously ruled DACA should be codified by Congress.
- Fox News reported on the rising number of arrests at the southern border, saying the year-to-year comparison are “staggeringly higher” than 2020, while reporting on the Biden administration’s pride in having emptied Border Patrol detention facilities, “which has led to the release of migrant families” in to the United States.
- The Federalist tried to have their cake and eat it too by sounding the alarm on the possibility of “making a very bad situation worse” with the reopening of the southern border to nonessential travel, which was restricted by the coronavirus pandemic.
One should question why Mexico is “disappointed” in a ruling that does not allow its citizens to reside in another nation illegally. What is the logic or reasoning behind that? Money.
Huffington Post’s advocacy in their reporting is nothing new. It is their standard operating procedure. CNN’s characterization of a government program being “part of the American fabric” exposes the writers’ beliefs regarding the sociocultural role government should play in America.
The Federalist’s John Daniel Davidson is attempting to equate legal cross-border travel with the surge in illegal border crossings. The Federalist has been stridently anti-lockdown in their reporting of the coronavirus, is now attempting to use coronavirus-related border restrictions to their benefit.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021