The number of illegal border crossings is on pace to break annual records. Some outlets on the left still maintain it’s not really as bad as it’s being reported while outlets on the right make it out to be a Mad Max-style hellscape.
A new report shows there have been more illegal border crossings this fiscal year since 2006 with four more months in the fiscal year to go.
- Despite those alarming numbers, unaccompanied minors crossing the border dropped in May to just over 14,000, down from a high of nearly 19,000 in March, though “May’s number was the third-highest on record.”
- As the number of crossing continue its record-breaking pace, Vice President Kamala Harris, who was roundly criticized for her performance on a trip to Central America and Mexico, has pledged to visit the US-Mexico border.
- The wave of increasing migration is also placing pressure on the Biden administration, which has been reluctant to reverse several Trump-era immigration policies for fear a further increase in illegal immigration would “erode public support” for Biden’s agenda.
- NBC News’ report on the effects of the massive surge of illegal immigration focused on a group of border town law enforcement officials who say the situation is not nearly as bad as it is being portrayed, with immigrants “only stopping here for a short time, because they’re moving up north”, and that it ends up becoming an issue of strained resources and diverted missions.
- The Washington Post reported on the latest figures that show May was the busiest month in the Biden era for border crossings, stating that while children crossing the border decreased, it was offset by increases in non-Mexican and non-Central American single adults.
- CNN’s Maeve Reston lamented the coverage over Vice President Harris’ “flippant response” to having not visited the US-Mexico border overshadowing the “serious policy” of her visits to Guatemala and Mexico, saying Harris was “under more pressure than most” as “the first woman of color to hold the office.”
- Fox News framed the border crisis as another component of President Biden’s agenda having been stalled by the reality that Biden’s campaign messaging encouraged the swell in illegal immigration, while Biden officials in the White House are reportedly not satisfied with Harris’ performance during her trip to Central America according to Townhall.com.
- On the flip side to NBC News’ reporting, The Federalist featured Val Verde County Sheriff Joe Frank Martinez, who says the border crisis IS having an impact on safety and crime.
- Newsmax reported on Harris’ talks with the president of Mexico, which did not include a renegotiation on Mexico’s decision to no longer accept migrant families to reenter Mexico after being apprehended in America, citing the struggle to “keep up with many Central American families” expelled from the United States.
© Dallas Gerber, 2021