As the situation at the border grows and DHS Secretary Mayorkas announced the “border is closed”, the Biden administration will begin housing migrant families in hotels. The crisis has gotten to the point that even objective news outlets are criticizing the Biden administration.
Amid the continued overwhelming stream of Central Americans showing up at the U.S.-Mexico Border, Alejandro Mayorkas, the Secretary of Homeland Security offered a frank pronouncement: “the border is closed, the border is secure” while urging those making the trek or considering it to not attempt to enter the United States.
- The number of people crossing the border is so great, Immigration and Customs Enforcement signed a contract to hold detained migrants in hotels as they’re apprehended.
- Even objective news outlet Associated Press is openly acknowledging the Biden administration had no plan “to manage a surge of migrants.”
- President Biden said he intends to visit the border soon and that his administration will be devising a better method for those applying for asylum to do so from their home country.
- Secretary Mayorkas blamed the Trump administration for “dismantling” the asylum, apprehension, and detention process while local leaders on the border say the crisis starts in Washington, urging both sides to put politics aside and find a real solution.
- Slate’s coverage emphasized the Biden administration’s split from Trump in that, while families and single adults are being expelled from the United States, unaccompanied minors will be allowed to remain in the country, citing American “values.”
- Vox’s coverage provided more depth to the policy details than nearly any other publication, yet still provided the Biden administration considerable leeway.
- NBC News, which interviewed Secretary Mayorkas, offered former President Trump’s rebuttal and condemnation of the current administration, while also complaining of a so-called “gag order” preventing border officials from speaking to media.
- The Jewish Voice decried the hotel agreement secured by the Biden administration, saying it makes it easier for cartel smugglers to gain entry than those going through the legal immigration process.
- RedState reported on the Border Patrol considering immediate “catch and release” which would allow officials to release those detained without an order to appear for a hearing.
- Newsmax highlighted comments from Trump, who said his administration created “the most secure border in history” which the Biden administration “has turned a national triumph into a national disaster.”
© Dallas Gerber, 2021