The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear several cases involving the 2020 election and a separate case involving the release of former President Trump’s personal financial records. The Left went wild over Justice Thomas’ dissent in the election cases.
The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear a variety of cases involving the 2020 presidential election, including a case disputing the validity of Pennsylvania ballots received after Election Day.
- Other cases denied a hearing involved battleground states Biden ultimately won: Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- Associate Justice Clarence Thomas issued a cutting dissent, saying it was incumbent on the Supreme Court to determine “if state officials have the authority they have claimed”
- The Supreme Court also declined to weigh in on the case in which the Manhattan district attorney is seeking Trump’s personal financial records for an investigation over payments made by Trump or the Trump Organization to two individuals in 2016 and whether they were election-related.
- In a statement, Trump responded to the case over his taxes, calling the investigation a “fishing expedition” and part of “the greatest political Witch Hunt” in American history.
- In their reporting, The Washington Post called the Supreme Court’s decision not to hear any of the election-related cases “a purge of sorts” and the Court had previously “uniformly rejected challenges to the election.”
- Slate ranted about Justice Thomas’ dissent, which they called “startling”, and characterizing Thomas’ attempts to hear an appeal to a state supreme court ruling as a “hijacking of state election laws.”
- Esquire was similarly triggered by Thomas’ writing, calling it “free floating hogwash of a very high order.”
- Thomas received more neutral-to-favorable coverage on the right, with the Washington Examiner calling the dissent “forceful”, also noting Justices Alito and Gorsuch joined him.
- Townhall’s Matt Vespa turned lemons into lemonade, mocking the left’s obsession with Trump and saying “it’s days like today where [Trump]’s sorely missed on Twitter.”
- OANN and Newsmax coverage of the cases focused on the decision regarding Trump’s taxes and Trump’s response, with OANN highlighting Donald Trump, Jr.’s video response that “this sounds like China, where you can politically persecute your enemies even if you have nothing.”
© Dallas Gerber, 2021
Supreme Court Deals Blows to Trump, Trump Responds